- Proteins (produce hormones): Hormones are essentially protein derivatives, hence it becomes imperative to consume substantial amount of proteins in order to keep the hormonal production house ready and going; coz woman, you are gonna need a lot of them! Soaked beans, lentils, fish, sprouted pulses are sources of clean proteins (sans bad fat). They also are good sources of Omega 3 fatty acid.
- Avocados (good fat): They're rich in healthy fat that helps our body absorb and use nutrients They are also full of fiber, potassium, magnesium vitamin E, B-vitamins, and Folic acid - all essential for maintaining hormonal balance in the body.
- Antioxidant rich veggies (protect your body): Look for anything dark green in color. Broccoli, spinach, asparagus etc. also bright colored veggies like bell peppers, tomatoes, red, purple cabbage etc. are good sources of essential vitamins. Do not over soak/over cook these veggies though, else you will lose out on all the vitamins that they are known for.
- Avoid Foods with High glycemic index: Ok that’s a fancy word which diabetics are well versed with. But all it really means is that not all carbohydrates are made equal. Some carbohydrates produce glucose faster in the blood than others. These are the ones that are our enemies. If you are carbohydrate addict, stay away from potatoes, rice, white flour, bread, rice, corn flakes etc.(not to mention sugar and its products of course)
- Water: This sneaky little neutral item always finds it's way in all my posts. And that is for a reason. Keep yourself hydrated well enough to flush out all the toxins and to keep your hormones diluted in the blood!
Monday, May 26, 2014
‘Oh I used to be like a cane stick before this husband thing happened. Marriage ruins it for you’… ‘Youknow you should really enjoy being skinny till you are single’… ‘Oh so you can fit in a size 26 jeans? Wait till you get hitched!’ I was literally sick of hearing nonsensical bullshit like this, until I realized this is not completely nonsensical and bullshit! People say you bloat up after getting married. Some say it’s your casual attitude towards your body, coz hey you have got a guy to marry you and now who do you really want to show of a body hugging little Black dress to, right? Some even suggest the theory that it’s the change in routine and food that makes you bloated.
Nevertheless, we women love to blame everything on hormones; Mood swings, anger, slapping boyfriends, Back stabbing best friend, everything. It’s our safest and the best mouth shutting excuse to anyone. In this case these hormones might actually be the real culprit. It is true that post marriage there are lot of Hormonal changes that take place in the body. Apart from gaining a husband for life, gaining weight can might just be another side effect of marriage.
While I am no doctor to prescribe meds to control your husband…I mean your hormones, these are some of my suggestions for food stuff that you can munch on to keep you balanced, and also few stuff that you should avoid:
The list can be exhaustive, but I would keep it crisp. Our bodies have an incredible ability to heal and be in balance, when given the nutrients they need to flourish. So love generously but eat wise!